Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ships boats

After adding the machine guns that reside in the crows nests, it was time to turn my attention to the remaining ships boats. First I mounted the davits in the locations shown on the plan view in the instruction.

It's usually pretty difficult to mount boats that aren't residing on a deck. I hit on a solution on a previous build that I did a few years ago for the now defunct Navis magazine. I used a block of balsa to set the height of the boats.

I rocked the boat up against the davit. I used liquid CA on the end of a piece of wire to bond the boat to the davit. Remove the balsa "stage" and the boat appears to hang from the davit... minus the rigging. Once I start to rig the ship, it will look like the boats are being supported by the rigging.


Here you can see all of the boats rigged. You can also see the oars resting in the boats.

An overall shot of the boat to this point.


And my obligatory beauty shot this time.

No comments: