Thursday, June 7, 2007

Boat Deck Supports

The kit supplied boat deck supports are on the brass photo-etch sheet. Unfortunately, there is no way that they will actually fit the kit. The supports have to be placed on either side of the superstructure guns. At this point on the superstructure, the sides angle in in order to provide the guns with a good field of fire.

The supports don't take this into account and hence they won't fit. In order to solve the problem I used .015" diameter silver-bearing solder. I bent the solder in an improvised jig of dress-making pins stuck into a piece of basswood. I flattened the resulting parts between my glass photo-etch sheet and a steel ruler. I attached the parts with CA. I'll paint them once they're dry. I'll also probably have to do a little tweaking of the boat bottoms in order to get them to sit straight since their are no cradles on my jury-rigged parts.

The pics below should explain the process fairly well.





No comments: