Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Boats and Rework

I took all of the boats that were going to populate the decks and mounted them to long toothpicks in order to paint them. Trim the end of the toothpick and dab the cut end into a drop of CA. I then very carefully stick the toothpick to the underside of the boat that will be towards the centerline of the ship. For the boats that were still on their resin casting gates, I simply used alligator clips obtained from the local radio shack to hold them. I mounted all the boats into a chunk of florists foam and headed to the spray booth. The boats were painted the same color as the hull.
Jim Baumann suggested that I replace the railings on the catwalks between the decks. I agreed... they looked pretty clunky compared to the WEM railings that I was using. So I pulled the bow catwalk up and cut away the railings and replaced them with the extra fine stuff. I opted not to replace the aft catwalk since it is going to be hidden by the two boats straddling it.
I also managed to finish one of the boats. I used short lengths of fine wire crushed in a pair of flat pliers to make oars for the boat. I also added a short length of "rope" made from fuse wire that was wrapped around the tip of a toothpick, slid off, and then pressed flat with pliers. It might look a little clunky in the photo but remember the entire boat is about 1 cm in length.

No comments: